People have often been in the battle regarding which one proves to be the most energy-efficient for home, cooling, or heating. Although it has been molded into such a structure, it should never be so. Your first priority should be living at the best comfort in your home without the worry of wondering whether your house is heating or cooling properly.
Most people wonder about the ways through which they can make their house comfortable. The first step, in this case, is to ensure that the thermostat is working properly and that it has been set in the appropriate temperature. Adjusting the correct temperature in the thermostat can do wonders when it comes to improving the energy efficiency of the house.
Energy Efficiency With Thermostats
Nowadays, different types of thermostats are available in the market. Therefore, one needs to be careful with their choice and how it is going to suit their house.
Usually, the AC and heating system, or rather HVAC is referred to as a thermostat. It regulates the heating and cooling temperature in the house and ensures that the air is thoroughly distributed around. The market these days are flooded with thermostats and one can choose from manual, programmable, and smart. You should prefer choosing a thermostat that is convenient for your house.
Types Of Thermostats
The manual thermostats are simple and convenient units. These are the old systems that can be seen in the old houses. The entire functioning of the system is manual and thus, you need to handle the system manually, moving the needle up and down to adjust the degree of hotness or coldness. Although they are easy to use, manual thermostats consume a lot of energy. If you prefer having a fixed temperature in the house, then this may be the right choice to make.
If you have a good WiFi connection then this may be the right choice to make. This is because the smart thermostats function using WiFi. You can use your different devices to control the thermostat. Basically, they are one of the best options for improving the energy efficiency of your house.
The programmable thermostats are very easy to use. They have an input setting that will be set as custom set for a wee continuously. If you want, you can even customize the settings for the weekend. However, this feature may be supported only by a few thermostats. They are not only energy efficient but friendly for the pocket as well. You can adjust the temperature once a day and then carry on with it for the rest of the day.
Before you choose the thermostat you should ensure that the thermostat is compatible with your cooling and heating system. In order to determine this, you should first understand what heating and cooling system you are using. Usually, there are three types of thermostats and you can choose from them accordingly.
- Low Voltage System- This kind of heating and cold system is used daily and is extensively popular. They need the 24v power supply to ensure the best use. Often, all the thermostats will function with this system.
- 24 millivolt System- These systems have oil-powered and gas furnaces. They are unlike the traditional wall and floor type systems. As a result, they are energy efficient.
- Direct line- This heating and cooling system may as well refer to the high voltage system as their power source is generally 110-240v. They have a baseboard and needs to be constantly looked after. Whenever you are choosing a thermostat for this system, you should be a little careful as not all thermostats function with these systems. However, in some cases, they are used in the old homes to ensure proper system and offer direct line voltage.
HVAC Stages To Keep In Mind When Installing A New Thermostat
There are different stages and you need to be careful with them. You should ensure which stage your house is to determine the installation of the system.
- Stage 1- In this case, the systems in your house are either functional or not at all.
- Stage 2- the system can ensure cooling and heating at an effective rate, be it high or low.
The house installing the thermostat is usually labeled as the following.
- Works with stage 1 cool or heat: This will be implied when you have different units for heating and cooling.
- Works with direct line voltage: This implies the direct current power of 110-240 is used in the older homes to give power to thermostats.
- Works with stage 2 or multi-stage heat or cool- This implies for heating and cooling at a faster or slower rate.
- Works with 24mV: This implies for the use in the case with wall furnace, floor, or fireplace.
- Zoned HVAC- In this case, the heating and cooling are controlled for specific areas (usually different) with the help of the same HVAC system.
If this information, you can make the right choice to ensure that you use the right thermostat. This information is mentioned by the manufacturers and as a result, you should be careful with it.
1st Class Heat & Air – “Texas Best HVAC Company” Call for an appointment today! 972-846-8819
How to save energy with a programmable thermostat?
Whenever you are installing the programmable thermostat in the house, you can schedule the cooling and heating program. This will help you to manage the costs. Moreover, they are adjustable and you can use them for a significant time in your house.
You should ensure that the thermostat is suitable for your HVAC system.
You can program your HVAC system along with the thermostat accordingly.
You can program the thermostat based on the capacity, such as the following
- 7-day- It is very flexible and allows adjusting for a week.
- 5+1+1- This ensures that a standard temperature is set for weekdays and separate for Sunday and Saturday (weekend).
- 5+2- This schedule ensures different temperature settings for weekdays and weekends.
- 1-week- This plan ensures that a standard temperature runs across the complete week.
Once you are aware of the program, you can customize the home accordingly.
If you want to have any advanced setting, you need to program it accordingly.
Be sure of the features.
With the right thermostat, you can enjoy a comfortable stay in your house. Moreover, you can also control energy usage with it. You should ensure that the thermostat model works fine with your HVAC system. Moreover, the functions will also help you make the right choice.
Getting a new advance thermostat installed can be a complex project and you should always opt for a professional HVAC technician to get the job done right the first time around. If you live in Texas then who better to contact than 1st Class Heat & Air. Were rated as one of the top HVAC companies in Texas by our customers.
For fast, reliable AC & Heating repair, service, installation, or sales, contact the professionals at 1st Class Heat & Air. We offer after-hours AC repair and can provide help for AC compressor failure seven days per week. Call us today at 972-846-8819.